Monday, July 04, 2005

Nostalgia

I'm a nostalgic kind of guy. I don't like relationships or friendships to have an abrupt ending, never again hearing anything from a person that maybe used to be my friend for years.
But these things happen in life. Friendships end, relationships get broken, people go their own way.

I went my own way as well, moving to a different country, following my dream.
Sometimes it's weird to live in an environment where I never ever see a familiar face or a person that I used to know during the first 30 years of my life. Everybody is new to me!
I don't ever bump into someone familiar on my way home, catching up on this person's life. Sometimes I think I recognize a face in the crowd, quickly realizing that it can never be the person who I think it is, but only someone who looks like him or her.

Every now and then when I'm bored, I Google up names of people that have played a part in my former life: old schoolmates, friends, acquaintances, familiar faces, former girlfriends. And if I'm lucky, I just might get a glimpse of this person's life: what they do, where they live, if they have gotten married, if they have got kids.

And then all of a sudden, I open my mailbox in the morning and I find a mail from a good friend I had years ago, checking if this is still my e-mail, asking me how I've been, and this person just makes my day.

7 comments:

Dainty Fairy said...

It's understandable that you miss people from the past. I think that's very nice that someone got in touch, I'm glad it made your day. I guess you have to look to the future though and not take what you have for granted now, (yes I am a hypocrite lol). You will meet people and in a few years time, they will be familiar faces.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful thing to find an email of an old friend in your mail. Perfect way to start the day with a good temper.

I know how you feel not running into familiar faces or old friends. We lived in other countries for 10 years

Unknown said...

I love that... it totally makes my entire week when something like that happens!! It must be amazing to live your life with the freedom of anonymity like you have... that seems so liberating to me.

amiethinggoes said...

that is one sweet deed by that person. it also tickled me pink when old friends still remember me after such a long time apart and enquire about me. really sweet. :)

Zeppellina said...

It`s always good to hear from old friends.
Sometimes, just when you think you will never hear from someone, they turn up, out of the blue. Friendships are a wonderful thing.
And no doubt, in your new environment, you will add lots of new friends to your life too.

GypsyChique said...

I'm the same way. I move a lot and have to meet new people constantly. Lots of people just sort of fade out over time. But it's so nice to know that sometimes, people from your past think enough of you to look you up! I've had a similar experience recently and it made me week, too. :)

Anonymous said...

This has happened to me several times. It is a wonderful, wonderful feeling. I have actually become very close friends again with a couple of them thanks to email and IM.