Friday, July 15, 2005

Rumours

I don't like rumours. I don't believe in them. I'm a scientific kind of guy. I need facts. Proof.

A rumour had been spreading around the office. A good rumour. So people started speculating if it would be true what they were saying, talking about how great it would be if the rumour would be true. They started dreaming, believing that it was going to be true. Everybody was talking about it.


For two weeks I kept telling some of my colleagues not to get their hopes up. To wait for an official statement before getting euphoric. That they were going to be disappointed if it didn't turn out the way they were hoping. I even mentioned reasons why the rumour maybe would not be true.
They told me that I had to think positive. The official statement would come anyday now.

Today we had an official statement. It seemed the rumour was only partly true.
The ones who had been speculating for weeks are very disappointed.
And me, I'm feeling great, because I wasn't expecting anything at all.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vraag mij niet waarom, maar ik vind dit een zeer leuk geschreven entry. En ik wou je dat dan ook even melden :)

Geniet van uw weekend!

Anonymous said...

hahaha ja roddels, ik geloof ze ook niet gauw, mijn ma daarentegen!

amiethinggoes said...

mostly i hate rumors if they're destructive, but if it's a positive one i sort of dally in them too. although not for the purpose of getting my hopes up but well just for a motivation (if we're talking about the "raise on salary" rumor here), if it's about other things then just for plain entertainment ;)

JaG said...

Wat een grap maakte jij net zeg!! Ik schrok me echt ff dood! Bedankt!! ;)

Anonymous said...

The company for which i used to work was going through a growth period they called "Exploratorial Reformation" (say that three times fast)and the rumors were rampant, as were the debates as to just what exploratorial reformation meant. There was even an office pool. The company was exploring the idea of merging its five entities into one operation. It did 3 months later. The man who ran the pools was the first to be laid-off.
Took me back to my corporate days - good post.