Friday, October 28, 2005

We learn every day

After I had received a few phone calls from customs about what was in the package that was coming over from the States, I started realising that maybe I was going to have to pay some import taxes. I just hadn't thought of that before.
So I called Mónica's mom (they were going to deliver the package to her place), to warn her that she was probably going to have to pay some taxes, but that I would refund her later.
I thought it could never be more than 4 dollars. Until I got the message that the package had arrived, and that the taxes were an amount of 44 dollars! That is more than 1/3 of the price of what I bought!
So I did some research on the internet, and found out that what I have to pay are customs duty and goods and services taxes.
You better keep that in mind whenever you buy something on the internet.

And to demonstrate the effectivity of Spanish couriers: It took 2 days to get the package from Dallas, Texas to Madrid. And it took another 2 days to get the package from Madrid to Asturias (5 hours by car).

3 comments:

amiethinggoes said...

so what is package chris? i'm pretty excited to know what it is! (yeah impatient that's me) :)

Anonymous said...

wow, that sucks! i'd hate to pay all that when the item isn't even worth it.

Anonymous said...

Holy shit, that is alot of money :-/

Hehe, I couldn't help but laugh when I read about the effectivity of Spanish couriers :p