Friday, March 11, 2005

11 M, one year ago


Church bells have been ringing all morning across Spain, in memory of the 191 passengers that were killed in a series of bomb explosions on 4 Madrid trains, one year ago today.
The bells of about 650 churches in Madrid were struck at 7.37 am, the precise time that the first of the 10 bombs went off.
It was al-Qa'eda's most lethal attack in Europe and led three days later to the fall of the conservative government.
Islamic militants claimed responsibility, saying the attack was in retaliation for Spain sending troops to Iraq and Afghanistan.
All over the country, people held 5 minutes of silence at noon, in memory of the victims.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I read the part of the church bells I got chills all over my body. ;-( Looking at the pictures of the millions of people on the streets demonstrating after the attacks still makes me cry.

I wish I was in Spain.

Suzanne said...

I'm glad that people still pay their respects and remember!! so tragic.