Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Learning how to bluejack

I'm feeling a bit numb today, because I'm having a bit of a cold. My throat hurts a little, I'm slowly losing my voice, my nose doesn't stop running and my head is a bit drowsy.
All billboards in the streets are showing posters of Gisele Bundchen in summerwear, saying: "Ya es primavera en el Corte Ingles!" (It's springtime already in the Corte Ingles), a yearly campaign by the Spanish supermarket. But it's still freezing cold outside.
By the end of the week temperatures would finally reach 12C/54F again. Let's hope that will be the official end of the cold. I can't wait untill Spring really arrives.

I learned how to bluejack today. I had never heard about it either, don't worry. But it seems it is getting quite popular lately.
Bluejacking is sending anonymous messages to people, using the bluetooth connection of your mobile phone. Now, normally you can't send messages via bluetooth, but they have found a little trick for this.


Here's how you do it:
You just create a new contact person in the phone book of your phone, but instead of the name of the contact person, you write the message you want to send, for example: 'Hello, how are you doing?'. Apparently, all phones with a bluetooth connection have the option to send the details of a contact person via bluetooth to another phone.
So, you enable bluetooth on your phone, go to the option to send via bluetooth the details of the contact person you have just created, search for other bluetooth devices within your range, and send the contact person information to the other devices found.
The other person will now see your message on his phone, but won't know where it's coming from.
This could be fun in theaters, in the disco, in school, or wherever there is a big crowd.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

*wishing my bluetooth enabled phone hadn't died a death last month*