Tuesday, May 17, 2005

More health problems

As if the allergy wasn't enough already (thanks for the tips, my dear readers), my throat started hurting on Saturday morning. I immediately blamed the damn air conditioning at work, because one of the lateral vents is blowing directly at me.
So I close the damn thing now and then, only to find it opened again a few days later by one of the maintenance workers.
We already had a notice that we are not allowed to close the green lateral vents because of some weird reason, but my hands are sometimes almost freezing from the cold wind blowing in my direction. So I close it whenever nobody's watching.


Anyway, by Saturday evening I had a mild fever. The throat ache got worse, accompanied by a headache and a dry cough. So when I was still feeling quite weak on Sunday night, I decided not to go to work on Monday and to go see the doctor.

My doctor (A doctor is assigned to you in Spain) is an older man. Usually, He justs asks what the problem is and prescribes a few days of rest to get it out of your system.
But when I went to the doctor yesterday, I had to see a substitute. So I told him about the fever, the throat ache and the headache, and he started to examine my throat and respiration.
And then he asked me with a smile: So tell me, what is the problem?
I could only think: Is this man an idiot? I just told him what the problem was!
And he continued: Because I don't see or hear anything wrong. And a grown 31 year old man like yourself should be able to endure a little throat ache, no?

I felt like a complete idiot at that moment, stupified by what he was telling me.
He prescribed me some soluble powders, while I was wondering why I needed those if there was nothing wrong with me!!??
And when he asked me if I needed a note to rectify my absence at work, I told him no, not wanting him to think that I only had come for that.
So here I am at work again, sucking on some tablets for my throat, with the air blowing at me from the left. I have to find a moment to close that damn thing again.

1 comment:

amiethinggoes said...

your sub doctor is priceless. ha ha ha. good thing you didn't lose your temper. and hey chris i hope you get better soon.