Friday, January 21, 2005

I have felt the pain (not for the weak of heart)

It was 1992.
A little bone in my hand had splintered by hitting a hard object.
The operation had been carried out under local anesthesia.
I was lying awake on a hospital bed with my right arm stretched out, while 2 doctors were cutting open my hand and discussing their actions. I was trying to concentrate on the ceiling.
The operation was successful.

Only, a few days later, my hand began to swell, hurt and turn blue.
It seemed that there had been an internal bleeding after they had closed up the wound. They had to open it up again and remove all the blood that couldn't get out.
But as this was just a 5 minute intervention, they were not going to anesthetize my arm for this, if I didn't mind. It was going to hurt, but as a grown man I should be able to handle it.

So I laid down on a bed, they cut open the stitches, and began to push my hand to get all the blood out. Blood and blood clots splattered all over the bed, the doctor and the nurse, while I was trying not to faint.
The windows were opened to let in some fresh air, I was put a wet cloth on my forehead. Two people were pushing my hand to get all the blood clots out.
The wound was being stitched again.
After the operation, my legs trembled non-stop for about 10 minutes, to get all the accumulated stress out of my body.
Then the doctor said: "Now you know the kind of pain a woman feels when having a baby. You did well."
In my imagination, I kicked him in the b...s.

5 comments:

Suzanne said...

why in heaven's name did they not give you a local shot or something? yikes.

Anonymous said...

Who was that doctor, I just want to make sure I never go see him!

http://tine.blog-city.com

Dioniso said...

When I thought about it later, it seemed a little strange to me as well. Why couldn't they have given me a shot?
I think the doctor just wanted to get it over with fast. That he thought he had better things to do.
And it all did happen very fast. My legs trembling after the operation lasted longer than the operation itself, I think.
I also think he thought it was going to be easier to get the blood out. But as it already had dried, it wasn't that easy.
This happened in the Virga Jesse Hospital in Hasselt, so don't think that I went to some kind of wicked doctor.

amiethinggoes said...

Ouch! Anything that has to be opened up and stitched no matter how small or how fast is the operation there should have been an anesthesia.

Anonymous said...

q