Monday, January 24, 2005

On the parking lot

Mónica got her driving license about 8 years ago. But as she never had her own car and went everywhere by bus, she never drove a car again after getting her license.
Now she doesn't remember anything about driving, and she's afraid to get behind the wheel again.
But as she is looking for a job, her parents and I were thinking that she should get used to driving again.
I told her many times that we could go to a big parking lot on a Sunday morning to practice driving, but she was never very fond of the idea.


When she woke me up yesterday morning, she was already dressed. So I asked her what was going on. And then she said: Well, the weather is very nice, and I was thinking that maybe we could go to that parking lot that you said, so I could practice driving a little.
So I jumped out of bed, got dressed and we got on our way.
I explained her the basic rules, we changed seats, and she started practicing. I decided not to give too many comments, because I knew she was a little nervous.
And in 10 minutes she was driving around the parking lot without any problems.
I thought it was so brave of her, deciding that it was time to do something about it.

3 comments:

amiethinggoes said...

wow that is nice! i myself don't know how to drive but i'm planning to learn next month!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Mónica :p

Thinking about my own driving lessons [which still have to start] makes me feel nauseous with nerves. =(

Lien

Unknown said...

wow! i applaud her for her courage and you for your generosity and patience!

i don't drive. i learned how in high school but i never really needed to drive in chicago where public transit is readily available.

now that i have a child, i'll have to rethink that and probably take lessons again... really NOT looking forward to becoming one of the driving masses again. :(

the fun thing about having a car is all the crazee ridiculous accessories - satellite radio, a plastic hula girl, fuzzy dice, bobble head dogs, air freshener shaped like a tree, etc... :)