Wednesday, January 19, 2005

What's in a name?

Do you remember that terrible song called Macarena, by those 2 Spanish grandfathers?
I found out the other day that Macarena is actually a Spanish girls' name. I just never listened to what they were singing. You can't blame me for that. And I thought Macarena was the name of the dance.
Imagine the stupid commentaries all the girls named Macarena must have heard after the song became a worldwide hit. Who calls their daughter Macarena anyway?
One of my colleagues' name is Inmaculada (Immaculate). How do you come up with a name like that? It's a good thing that she insists that we call her Inma. (She would kill me if she knew I was writing this)

Anyway...
The Spanish have the strange habit to translate names. Some examples you all know:
The name of the pope in Spain is Juan Pablo II. Christopher Columbus is called Cristóbal Colón.
Prince Charles of England is called Principe Carlos, and his son William goes by the name of Guillermo. Harry, the one who thinks a nazi is the same thing as a clown, is just Harry.
But imagine us watching the news:

I: Who are they talking about?
She: Carlos of England.
I: Carlos? Who the hell is Carlos?
She: The Prince of England, Prince Carlos.
I: Do they have a Prince Carlos in England?? (and then his image is shown)
Ooooooooooooh, CHARLES!!
She: Si, Carlos.

2 comments:

amiethinggoes said...

We just interviewed a guy named "Friendship Manila" for a position here in the office. He told us he was teased the whole time he was in school. Sometimes parents can be so funny in naming their kids.

Unknown said...

this totally reminds me of a conversation i had with a friend on the birth of my cousin:

me: joe, my cousin was born this weekend.
joe: really? girl or boy?
me: girl. her name is justine.
joe: "youstinka"?
me: um. what?
joe: your aunt named your cousin, "youstinka"?
me: joe, did you suffer head trauma? i said, "justine".
joe: justine in polish is pronounced youstinka.
me: joe, we're filipino.
joe: yeah, i know. but they live in my neighborhood - little warsaw? the polish 'hood? is it too late to change her name?

true story. we still tease her by calling her youstinka...