Tuesday, February 08, 2005

5 seconds of fame

A famous credit card company has put a huge billboard in Brussels. There's nothing special about that, I hear you think.
But you can upload your own picture on their website, they send you a mail when it is uploaded on the billboard, and five minutes later, when you look at their webcam, you can see your own face on the huge billboard in one of the most crowded streets of Brussels.
Too bad the webcam image isn't very clear when the sun is shining on it. Maybe it is more visible at night.
On the image, that's Mónica and I on the billboard.


This reminds me of my first 5 seconds of shame, about 15 years ago.
On Friday evenings after school, we always used to go to this bar called Clapodium, because they held a happy hour every week. So we used to go drink a few beers to forget about school and start the weekend.
One Friday evening, a camera crew entered the bar and started filming the crowd. Everybody started singing and dancing to draw the attention of the camera crew. Big mistake.
One week later, I saw myself on tv, on a program called 'Adolescents and alcohol abuse' by the (in)famous Belgian journalist Jambers. And although my face had only been visible for about 3 seconds, everybody I knew had seen me!
When did you have your 5 seconds of shame/fame?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

HA Jambers! You wanted to be in the spotlight and your wish came through. I always run away when I see a camera ;-)

cool picture of you and Monica

Anonymous said...

HA Jambers! You wanted to be in the spotlight and your wish came through. I always run away when I see a camera ;-)

cool picture of you and Monica

http://tine.blog-city.com

always forget to leave my name! sigh

JaG said...

That is very cool indeed!

Anonymous said...

The credit card thing is pretty neat ^_^ Too bad I'm home this week, maybe I could've seen you live in Brussels otherwise.

Err, my 5 seconds of shame, eh? Only 5 seconds? Well, we were having this "sports day" in high school, and at a certain moment I fell flat out on my face, in a puddle of mud. There were no camera's around, but it was still a very embarrasing experience.

Lien

amiethinggoes said...

that's cool chris! wow on the billboard! but as i'm a camera shy person the thing is not for me.