Monday, November 28, 2005

Making plans

What a weird experience it was when I was in the Mediamarkt store of Oviedo on Saturday evening and suddenly the name 'Hasselt' (The name of the town where I was living when I was still living in Belgium) was shown on the dozens of televisions on display in the store.
It was the start of the Junior Eurovision Songcontest that was being held in Hasselt. We taped the show on video and saw it on Sunday afternoon. I was impressed by the beauty of the hall and the stage they had built.
And before every singer was introduced, a few images of Hasselt were shown. But the images were shown way too fast. At times, we had to stop the tape and rewind it, because we had not recognized what they were showing.

Later last night, we started talking about Belgium again and I suddenly realised that it was already 8 months since we visited Belgium and my family for the last time, while we normally would go every 6 months. If we were going to wait until April before going again, it would be a whole year.
I still have 5 days of vacation to take before the end of the year, but sadly, Mónica has no right to take a holiday from work.
So after talking about it, we decided that I should go alone for a few days in December.
So I started checking flights and rates today, and I already booked a flight to go to Belgium next week. How weird that we started talking about this last night, and I already will be going next week.
I haven't told anybody of my family yet, and I'm thinking of keeping it as a surprise. I could take the train from Brussels airport to Hasselt, and just show up at my parents's house and shout: 'Surprise'! I like the idea.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow talking about a surprice! I hope they have a strong heard

Anonymous said...

i love the eurovision contest and watched the last one. greece won and we were thrilled.

Dioniso said...

@Tine: The problem is that my mom will immediately think that something is wrong. Maybe I better tell a few days before.

@Kate: I used to watch the contests. The last couple of years however I missed it. I wouldn't even know the songs that have won lately. I think it's losing credibility.

dorien said...

oh, nice, back in Hasselt!! Maybe Tine and I can meet you and talk with you about hasseltlokaal. But of course: no!!! You probably won't have time for that: I imagine your whole family would like to see you again. So I'll write you an email with some more explanation?
And: cool that Hasselt was on the Spanish television. I really liked the Spanish song in the contest. The boy sung with such an incredible conviction!!

Dioniso said...

@Do: How about ok? Although it seems Tine is going to be very busy next week. I'm in town from december, 7 until december, 14.
Oh, and about hasseltlokaal: I am just a curious guy. You should say: just wait and see. Although I already read some things on stadsreporter in wikispaces. ;-)