Wednesday, June 08, 2005

About bikes

I'm thinking about getting a mountain bike, because I should get some exercise. And I could make some beautiful bike trips here, Asturias being a natural paradise and all.
But Spain is not like Belgium, when it comes to bikes. There are no bicycle paths on the side of the roads, and the Spanish drivers are not used to share the road with bikes.
I hardly ever see a bicycle on the road here. Which is a real shame, because it could be a great mean of transport in these busy cities.
I remember when Mónica visited me in Belgium for the first time, she frowned and asked me: "where are all those people going on their bikes?". I thought she was kidding me. But for her, a bike was a sports item, not a transport item. She was stunned when she saw a guy in a suit on a bike.
Anyway, I might go take a look at some cheap mountain bikes. I'm only afraid that in a few months it will be oxidizing in our garage, next to those dumbbells that I bought last year.


Have you heard? Blogging might not save your life, but it might catch your killer. That is what happened to 19 year old Simon Ng, who was killed in May. The police found his killer, because Simon had written in the last post of his Blog that his sister's former boyfriend was visiting. Guess who killed Simon and his sister? His last post already has 2800 comments.
Link to the blog
Link to the story

3 comments:

dorien said...

haha, and I thought that Belgium was a dangerous country for bikers!

Maybe you can set a new trend in Spain, when you go to work with your new mountainbike.

Good luck with the purchase!

amiethinggoes said...

i read that blog and i read that news article sometime ago. it's just sad.

sometimes blogging something personal is hard because you let other people...strangers see a part of your life. so people blog something else like technologies, gadgets, or politics. this is one case when you're glad that you're blogging your day to day activity of course for Simon it had a sad ending.

as for that bike go ahead and buy it. ;)

Anonymous said...

remember, you are going to look like a weirdo if you wear your suit while biking :-)

Have fun en 'trap ze' :)

btw, such a sad story!