Thursday, December 02, 2004

Exactly one year ago, at noon, I arrived in Spain.
Nervous and not knowing if I had made the right decision leaving my life, family, friends and apartment behind in Belgium.
My life changed completely in one day. I moved to another country with another language, I had a new job and I was going to live with my Spanish girlfriend with whom I had had a long-distance relationship until then (See 'A love story' on the left).
There were only 3 weeks between the day that I decided that I was going to do it, and the day that I arrived in Spain. So everything went very fast.

The first days and even weeks in my new hometown were filled with visiting the authorities to fulfill all the necessary paperwork, and all I could think of was: 'if this doesn't work out well, I'm going to have to change all this again.'
But everything did work out well: the relationship, the country, the city, the people, the language, the job, the apartment, the colleagues, the climate, the adventure.
It was a wonderful year.
There are days that I still can't believe that all this is really happening to me. I even joked about this theory that I had had an accident and was in a coma, having a great dream. If I am, don't bother trying to wake me up.

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

I lived in Belgium for 10 years! I'm back in the States now, defrosting from the cold and rain. Are you Belgian? I'll be interested in seeing how Spain works out for you.

Dioniso said...

yes, I am Belgian. I grew up in Hasselt. Last year I moved to Spain, to begin a new life.