Thursday, December 23, 2004

Nothing to worry about

I don't know how the social security system works in the States, but in Belgium we had to pay to go to the doctor, and later the system repaid part of the fee.
In Spain, going to the doctor is free. The first time you need a doctor, you get one assigned to you. On later visits, you will always see the same doctor.
The doctor I got assigned is an older man, he must be close to 70 years old. It always makes me doubt his opinions and decisions. Ok, he probably has a lot of experience, but is he familiar with new techniques and developments?


I visited the doctor this morning. You see, two weeks ago I went to the medical check-up at work, and apparently some numbers of the blood analysis were a little low. But the doctor told me I shouldn't pay too much attention to the figures, and that everything seemed fine.
As I was waiting for my turn to see the doctor, I heard other people whispering. They were saying: "shouldn't he start thinking about retiring? He is getting a little old now, isn't he?"
Apparently, I'm not the only one doubting his opinions.

1 comment:

spydrz said...

In the US, if you have health insurance, you usually are billed a "co-pay" which might be around $10. If you don't have health insurance, then you pay the full price of the visit.