Wednesday, November 03, 2004

I won't talk too much about politics. Because that's all you hear about today. I just hope that whoever wins doesn't make too big a mess of it in the next 4 years, and at least tries to solve problems in such a way that no innocent people have to suffer, because that only leads to more hatred and more fanatics.

Let me tell you something about the Spanish habits.
The Spanish have some weird expressions they use whenever something goes wrong or doesn't work out the way they planned.
They say: 'Me cago en...'. Literally translated this means: 'I shit in...'. And they shit in almost everything. For example, they use: I shit in the milk, I shit in the moon, I shit in the whore, I shit in God or I shit in the sea. Only, whenever they use it, they don't think about it literally. It's just an expression of bad luck.
When I just moved to Spain, it sounded a little weird to me. And I asked my girlfriend: how do you know which expression you have to use at each occasion? But it doesn't seem to work that way. You just shit in what you want, although some expressions sound a little stronger then others.
If you ever visit Spain, I'm sure you will hear it, because they say it all day. I have my own variant. I say: me cago en la mano (I shit in my hand). At least it's mine.



Apparently, some of my visitors don't understand the little script on the left of this blog. You see where it says: 'Hello to the people visiting this site from...'? Well, every person who visits this blog sees another city and state in that sentence: their own. It's like a little program that looks up where your IP address is located, and fills in the city and state. But many people seem to think: hey, this guy is from around here! Sorry, I am not. Unless you live in Spain (where I live) or in Belgium (where I used to live). Then you're right.

3 comments:

amiethinggoes said...

'Me cago en...'- that's funny, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. I'm always looking for new ways to shit in things, and this is definitely one of the first that I've heard in Spanish. I find this fairly odd, considering that I grew up in Chile and Uruguay, and graduated with a Spanish major. Is this particular to Spain, sabes?

Alex.
http://hurlnecklace.mu.nu

o said...

I think I have a new expression...