Tuesday, November 09, 2004

It's scary movie Tuesday again.
On my menu today is 'Dark Water': another Japanese movie, from the same director as Ringu (which is the original Japanese version of 'The Ring').
I certainly hope it's better then 'The Ring', because that movie only bored me to death. To me the plot was just too ridiculous.


I just love the feeling of creepiness that you get from watching a good scary movie. When I was much younger, I used to watch them alone at night in a totally dark livingroom, when my parents had already gone to bed.
BBC television used to play scary and horror movies late at night. So I used to sneak down the stairs to go watch them.
I remember there were times that I got myself so scared, that after the movie had finished, I turned off the tv and held my breath in the dark, to be able to hear every sound in the house. I could be there like that for 5 minutes, and then I had to force myself to get moving again and go to bed.
There was the tension of the movie and the tension of getting caught sneaking up the stairs.
One movie that really gave me the creeps back then was 'The Quiet Earth'.

4 comments:

Carl said...

Dark Water is pretty good, but I am disappointed you didn't like the Ring. Did you see the Japanese original? It is pretty good. I liked it more than Dark Water. Ju-On was my favorite of those three (often referred to as the trinity of awesome Japanese horror). If you want creepy and distrubing, here are two you should see... Japan's "Audition" and Korea's "Old Boy." Both are awesome, and they mess with your head. Rob Zombie said Audtion was the only movie that ever gave him the creeps as an adult.

Dioniso said...

No, I didn't really like the Ring. Mind you, I didn't see the original Ringu, I saw the remake. I have to get my hands on the original one of these days. But the storyline was a little over the top to me. A girl is on a videotape, so they find out about the family, the girl was kept in a tiny room on top of a barn, later dropped in a well. So when you see the videotape, you get a phonecall (by the girl in the well??), and 7 days later she crawls out of your tv to scare you to death?? It just didn't make much sense to me. When I hear people say that it was such a great movie, I think: I must have missed something. Maybe I should just see it again.

Anonymous said...

I live in Chatan Cho, so close by Naha, thought I would let you know :-)
VirginWriter

Anji said...

I used to watch the horror movies on the BBC on Friday nights! The old black and white ones are the creepiest